Subcommittee on Airland
- Responsibilities: Army programs (less special operations forces); Air Force programs (less strategic forces, strategic airlift, and special operations programs); and Navy and Marine Corps tactical aviation programs.
- Special additional area: National Guard and Reserve equipment.
- Oversight of budget accounts: Army and Air Force research and development (RDT&E) and procurement (less technology base, strategic forces, special operations, strategic airlift, and ammunition); and Navy and Marine Corps RDT&E and procurement related to tactical aviation.
Back to top.
Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Responsibilities: Policies and programs to counter emerging threats including the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, terrorism, and illegal drugs; homeland defense; technology base programs; special operations programs; and emerging operational concepts.
- Special additional areas: Foreign Military Sales; technology export policies; Department of Defense (DOD) and Department of Energy (DOE) nonproliferation programs, including the Nunn-Lugar program; and nontraditional military operations, including peacekeeping and peace enforcement, low-intensity conflict, strategic communications and information operations, and building partner capacity.
- Oversight of budget accounts: Technology base RDT&E; operational test and evaluation; RDT&E and procurement supporting special operations; counterdrug programs; RDT&E supporting low-intensity conflict, peacekeeping operations, and information warfare; combating terrorism; chemical and biological warfare defense; chemical demilitarization; train and equip programs; and DOD and DOE nonproliferation programs.
- Oversight of DOD offices: Assistant Secretary of Defense (Homeland Defense); Assistant Secretary of Defense (Special Operations and Low-Intensity Conflict); and Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering.
- Oversight of DOD commands and agencies: Special Operations Command; Northern Command; Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency; Defense Threat Reduction Agency; and Defense Security Cooperation Agency.
Back to top.
Subcommittee on Personnel
- Responsibilities: Military and DOD civilian personnel policies; end strengths for military personnel; military personnel compensation and benefits; military health care; and military nominations.
- Special additional areas: Professional Military Education; DOD schools; DOD child care and family assistance; Civil-military programs; POW/MIA issues; Armed Forces Retirement Home; Morale, Welfare and Recreation; and military commissaries and exchanges.
- Oversight of budget accounts: Military personnel; military retirement; Defense Health Program; DOD Medicare-Eligible Retiree Health Care Fund; and operation and maintenance for certain education and civil-military programs.
- Oversight of DOD offices: Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel & Readiness); Assistant Secretary of Defense (Reserve Affairs); Assistant Secretary of Defense (Health Affairs); and Defense Prisoner of War/Missing in Action Office.
- Oversight of DOD agencies: TRICARE Management Activity; Defense Commissary Agency; and Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Subcommittee on Readiness and
Back to top.
Subcommittee on Readiness and Management Support
- Responsibilities: Military readiness including training, logistics, and maintenance; military construction; housing construction and privatization; contracting and acquisition policy; business and financial management; base realignment and closure; and defense environmental programs.
- Special additional areas: Conventional ammunition procurement; RDT&E infrastructure policies and programs; National Defense Stockpile; defense industrial and technology base policies; facility and housing maintenance and repair; land and property management; information technology management policy; and industrial operations, including depots, shipyards, arsenals, and ammunition plants.
- Oversight of budget accounts: Operations and maintenance; conventional ammunition procurement; military construction and family housing; base realignment and closure; working capital funds; the National Defense Stockpile Transaction Fund; and RDT&E support programs.
- Oversight of DoD offices: Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics); Department of Defense Deputy Chief Management Officer; and the Chief Management Officers of the military departments.
- Oversight of DOD agencies and commands: Defense Logistics Agency; Defense Finance and Accounting Service; Defense Investigative Service; Defense Contract Audit Agency; DOD Inspector General; and Joint Forces Command joint training and doctrine activities.
Back to top.
Subcommittee on Seapower
- Responsibilities: Navy and Marine Corps programs (less tactical aviation); and strategic lift programs.
- Special additional areas: Maritime issues.
- Oversight of command: Transportation Command
- Oversight of budget accounts: Navy and Marine Corps procurement and RDT&E (less tactical aviation); Army and Air Force strategic lift programs; and National Defense Sealift Fund.
Back to top.
Subcommittee on Strategic Forces
- Responsibilities: Nuclear and strategic forces; intelligence programs; space programs; cyber space programs; Department of Energy defense nuclear and environmental programs; and ballistic missile defense.
- Oversight of budget accounts: Procurement and RDT&E for DOD nuclear and strategic forces, missile defense, space systems, and cyberspace systems; Department of Energy defense-funded programs; intelligence activities, including the National Intelligence Program and the Military Intelligence Program.
- Oversight of DOD and DOE officials: Under Secretary of Defense (Intelligence); Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear and Chemical and Biological Defense Programs; National Nuclear Security Administration; and Assistant Secretary of Energy (Environmental Management).
- Oversight of agencies, commands, and activities: Strategic Command; space commands of the military departments; Missile Defense Agency; National Security Agency; Defense Intelligence Agency; National Reconnaissance Office; National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency; and Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board.
Back to top.
Note: Senator McCain and Senator Reed, as Chairman and Ranking member of the Armed Services Committee, serve as ex-officio (non-voting) members of all Subcommittees.